Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Dr visit

First let me say that one of the worse places to work after anykind of bad weather is an insurance agency.....we have been swamped with claims, and usually the only time people want or need us is when they have a claim....if they would remember to be a little nicer all those other times...well you get the point.

Avie had her 4 month Dr visit today, she got 4 shots which she handled pretty well. She weighed 10 lbs 9 ounces which has us concerned. She grew 1.5 inches and gained about 3 ounces. She went from like 15% on the growth chart to 3%. Of course my immediate thought is that they told us in Atlanta to stay on track for surgery she cannot fall on the growth chart. So we talked about her feeding she eats between 3-3.5 ounces at a time. Now she was up to 4 ounces but her stomach just could not handle it and she would spit/snot up frequently so we backed it down and she hardly spits up. Dr Megow said if it was reflux it would affect her no matter what the amount was.

Now I did ask the following questions so nobody has to suggest these:

-Amelia is small maybe Avie will be the same, Dr Megow advised Amelia was always consistent on the growth chart. And I looked at her baby book when I got home, she was a cow compared to Avie, at 4 months she weighed 12lbs and 13 ounces and was 25 inches long, Avie was 23 today.

-Could we change to a higher calorie formula. Dr Megow was hesitant since she handles this formula so well and if we switch and she has a hard time adjusting could put us back further.

-Cereal. yes we were giving this to her to make her sleep all night then we stopped. Dr Megow advised we can get more calories by increasing the formula than the cereal.

So for the next 3 weeks we are increasing her formula to water ratio and then she will go back for her weight to be checked. I asked if we needed to call CHOA, she said lets see what happens in 3 weeks and then we will decide. Please pray that Avie can gain some weight so we can stay on track for her surgery.

7 comments:

The Holtons said...

Sorry about the rude people at work, guess we all don't know how to handle insurance agents!!!! Sounds like you have everything under control with Avie. Trust your dr-it sounds like ya'll are doing everything right...KEEP PRAYING! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I am glad I was nice to you today when I called :)

I second Ginny about YOU and your dr. Tell people to kindly keep the suggestions to themselves (not that I have ever doubted your ability to tell people what you think - ha!ha!). We will keep Avie, you & Donald in our prayers and hopefully she will become a "chunky monkey" in 3 weeks :).

Love you.

John, Shannon, Broderick, Camden, and Adalynn said...

best of luck. Adalynn is so much smaller compared to our boys and CHOA had us freaking out about how little she was eating and she wasn't gaining fast enough for them. I would continue with your primary care doctor and up the formula ratio. CHOA wanted me to start adding formula powder to the breast milk and they said something about another calorie additive.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Kristin said...

Just wanted you to know Avie's in our thoughts and prayers. Keep us updated on her progress.

The Lee Family 4 said...

I pray for sweet Avie. Thank you for your comments and prayers for Jack.
Love, Amanda

Heather said...

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about her weight... I know you were wondering about that last month too. It's funny... she doesn't look smaller than Aidan in pictures... but she's 4 pounds lighter! I hope that the formula/water ratio thing helps and she starts gaining more. It must be the hardest thing, knowing your baby just isn't getting enough in her little system!! : ( I'll be thinking about you and Avie!!!

LaurieR said...

I'll definitely be praying and people only call me at work when bad things happen! I wouldn't mind people not being nice, I'd settle for them just not using THE MOST OFFENSIVE cuss words! I'm going to call you at work one day and be nice....